To school that is....
I've been wanting to go back for some time, but with working full time and then having kid after kid, it just never worked out. Now, things are have changed in our lives and I am no longer working full time, so.... What better time than now with me being home during the day, working part time and a dad who is willing to help me out during class time with the kids?! (I couldn't ask for a better dad, he really does do a lot for us and I am so very thankful!)
Before I withdrew from classes back in the fall of 2005, I was working towards a degree in Child, Youth and Family Studies. I was so close to being done, but with the miscarriage in Sept 2005, I withdrew, always planning to go back (it just took longer than expected.)
This specific program is actually through University of Nebraska-Lincoln, but they do offer (for the time being, but that story I will share later on in this blog post,) classes at UNO.
"Child, Youth and Family Studies
Omaha Campus
We have four majors (programs of study) students may choose from within the Department of Child, Youth and Family Studies (CYAF) on the Omaha campus. These provide a unique link to the UNL degree programs.
Those in the department of Child, Youth and Family Studies on the UNO campus are UNL students and follow UNL guidelines. The degree will be from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln upon graduation.
Two degrees of study in the Department may be completed entirely on the Omaha campus. These are:
•Family Science: This degree trains students to work with children and families through the life span.
•Child, Youth and Family Studies in Communication and Mass Media: This degree encompasses coursework in family and consumer sciences, journalism, radio and television."
I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to get this degree, here in Omaha. This opportunity though almost didn't happen!!! I decided about 2 weeks ago now that I was going to make this work, I was going to get my degree. I called UNO and was told to re-apply, complete applications for FAFSA, etc. I was then transfered to the advisor of my department. I was given the news that in a year, the program will no longer be offered at UNO, that all classes were being moved to UNL. Depending on how many hours I had left I had a couple options. 1) Transfer to Lincoln and go to school there (which I had/have no interest in doing.) or 2) Taking the classes I have completed and applying them to another area of study at UNO and changing my major. My advisor said she would look into my file and see where I was at. THANK GOD UP IN HEAVEN, she called the next day and said I only had 24 credit ours left and she was going to ask the chair for special permission to let me back in the department (they are no longer taking applicants in Omaha due to the students not being able to finish at UNO.) I got the good news a few days later that they were letting me back in and I could finish on the Omaha campus in time!!! WOOT!
So starting in May, I will be at student again!!! I am excited, nervous, happy, and anxious all at the same time! I am going to have a lot on my plate with full time student, full time mommy/wife, and part time working....BUT I CAN DO IT!!!! It is only a year and I will have a bachelor degree.
Beginning soon....THIS will be my other home away from home (other than Bank of the West lol!)
I can't wait!
Let's see how long this excitement lasts once I'm actually having to do the work :)




YAY
ReplyDeleteCongrats Jeni!!!!
How random that Kyle and I were just discussing last night the possibility of me going back to school as well. I feel with 30 approaching (next week-- eeekkk)))I want to have a career path and a particular skill set. I am going to look into it more, but I may go to school for Dental- first assistant then possibly hygenist.
I would still work full time here at Lincoln Financial in the Dental Ins Dept, but atleast if I went back I would get a break on paying that monthly student loan bill--haha!!!
Very excited for you!!!!!!
Thanks Bonita!!! I actually thought about the dental route at one time. I think it sounds very interesting!!! I support you...GO BACK!!!
ReplyDelete